Story: A wife talking to her husband says, you have not heard a word I have said. The husband answers, well that is an interesting way to start a conversation.
- The joke is funny because it is true.
- When we talk we want someones full attention.
- We need to put away all distractions.
- Out attention spans are very short in life and it carries over into our spiritual life.
- In this mornings passage Jesus is wanting two ladies full attention.
- “Welcomed” carries with it the idea of anticipation
- Do we anticipate welcoming Jesus into our life on a daily basis?
- Do we need to welcome Him into our home as friend so he can speak into our lives?
- Do we need to welcome Him into our home as Savior?
2. Feed on Jesus’ Words
- “The only way you will feed on Jesus Word is if you are hungry for it.”
- The distractions of this world are like McDonald’s and God’s Word is like Prime Rib.
3. Don’t be Distracted
- Martha was distracted with much serving.
- “To be occupied with Christ is more important than to be occupied for Christ.” – Dwight D. Pentecost
- Spending time with God on a daily, consistent and obedient way has the biggest impact in our life.
- When Christ does not get our full attention the world does.
- – Mary chose the good portion.
- We can blame many things for our lack of full attention to Jesus but at the end of the day we have a choice. Mary chose the good portion, will we?
Small Group Questions:
- When someone tries to talk to you what are the things that prevent you from giving them your full attention?
- Do you find the same distractions you listed in question 1 preventing you from giving your full attention to God when reading your Bible and praying? Explain.
- What steps could you take in your life to limit distractions in your worship of God/Jesus?
- Read . How does the warning about how we use our time relate to the many distractions available to us in life?
- What is the one activity in your life that if you could develop consistently and obediently in your life what have the biggest impact in your life?
- In Mary chose to give Jesus her full attention. Share how you need to make that choice today.
38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (ESV)
38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. (ESV)
14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; (ESV)
21 Let them not escape from your sight;
keep them within your heart. (ESV)
4 But he answered, “It is written,
“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (ESV)
15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. (ESV)
42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (ESV)