Some of HPC’s Small Groups are using sermon based discussions. The goal is to dive a little deeper into the Word, based on the passage Pastor Greg preached from. Each week Pastor Greg will give us some questions to help direct the discussion. The questions for this week are below, and you can listen to the sermon audio here.
If you are interested in joining a small group click here for more info.
- What is the usual theme of your prayers to Jesus? Victim or Victor?
- How does the theme of your prayers show your present walk with Jesus? Are you rejoicing in victory that Jesus has given you?
- When Jesus was on earth, He watched over the disciples. What tool has God given us to point us to the truth? (vs 14,17) How has this changed your walk with Christ?
- What does it mean when Christ refers to those whom the father has given me? (v2,6,9,11,12)
- Why / how do the Father and son give each other glory?
- Is it right that God or Christ TAKES glory, authority, control, etc. . . why do they deserve it?
- Why did God send Christ? Why did Christ send the people (disciples) into the world (v.17-19)
17:1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
6 “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. (ESV)